Consider These 8 Features Before Buying Your Next Car
Whether you’re buying a new vehicle or a used one, you’ll want to make sure it has the features that are most important to you. It’s a good idea to put together a list before you start shopping for a car and use it to check against potential cars.
If you’re buying a new car, most of the time you will be able to order the car with the features you want if the dealer doesn’t have one on the lot that meets your criteria. However, for used cars, what you see is what you get.
If you’re buying a used car, it’s not enough to check to make sure that the car has the feature. You must also test to make sure that it actually works. It’s easy to forget to check the air conditioning if you’re car shopping in the middle of winter, but it’s important to make sure it’s in working order if air conditioning is one of your must-have features.
To help you put together your list, we’ve compiled our own list of 8 popular car features to consider:
1. Automatic vs. manual transmission. Although most people prefer an automatic transmission, manual transmission vehicles tend to get better gas mileage. They also tend to be cheaper and require less maintenance.
2. Front-wheel drive vs rear-wheel drive. Rear-wheel drive vehicles tend to handle curves better, while front-wheel drive vehicles have more traction in rainy and snowy conditions. Front-wheel drive vehicles are generally less expensive and have the better fuel economy.
3. Engine type. Do you care how big the engine is or how much power it delivers? If so, add that to your list.
4. Safety features and ratings. What safety features does the vehicle have? Has it been tested by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety or the National Highway Traffic Safety Association? If so, how did it fare in those tests?
5. Hauling capacity. Do you need to tow a utility trailer? A boat? A full-size RV? Make sure the vehicle you choose can handle the weight of whatever you plan to tow with it.
6. Seats. Are the seats comfortable? Are they easy to adjust? Do you want the added luxury of heated seats to take the edge off winter?
7. Radio. Does the radio sound good? Do you need extra features such as a CD player or XM satellite radio? Can you connect your phone to the radio system for hands-free calls? Can you plug in a USB flash drive filled with your favorite songs?
8. Remote start. Do you want to be able to start your car from inside the house so it’s warmed up by the time you’re ready to leave for work?
Now you have a list of some of the most popular features to consider when buying a car, but take some time to think about what you really want. Also, consider that some features are harder to find than others. If you insist on heated seats, you’ll have a much smaller selection of models to choose from.
Are you in the market for a used car or truck? Auto Action has six locations in Arizona to serve you.